1 a space reserved for sitting (as in a theater or on a train or airplane); "he booked their seats in advance"; "he sat in someone else's place" [syn: place]
2 the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on; "he deserves a good kick in the butt"; "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?" [syn: buttocks, nates, arse, butt, backside, bum, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass]
3 furniture that is designed for sitting on; "there were not enough seats for all the guests"
4 any support where you can sit (especially the part of a chair or bench etc. on which you sit); "he dusted off the seat before sitting down"
5 a center of authority (as a city from which authority is exercised)
6 the cloth covering for the buttocks; "the seat of his pants was worn through"
2 be able to seat; "The theater seats 2,000"
3 place ceremoniously or formally in an office or position; "there was a ceremony to induct the president of the Academy" [syn: induct, invest]
4 put a seat on a chair
5 provide with seats; "seat a concert hall"
- Rhymes: -iːt
- A place in which to
- There are two hundred seats in this classroom.
- The horizontal
portion of a chair or
designed for sitting.
- He sat on the arm of the chair rather than the seat which always annoyed his mother.
- A piece of furniture made for sitting; e.g. a chair, stool or bench.
- She pulled the seat away from the table and, while he sat down, pushed it back in again.
- The part of an object
or individual (notably the buttocks) directly involved in
- Place the seat of your pants on the seat of this chair.
- The part of a piece of clothing on which one sits.
- As he walked away she deftly kicked him in the seat of his pants to hurry him along.
- A membership in
an organization, particularly a representative body.
- Our neighbor has a seat at the stock exchange and in congress.
- The location of a
- Washington D.C. is the seat of the U.S. government.
- In the context of "certain Commonwealth countries": an electoral district, especially for a national legislature.
place in which to sit
- Dutch: zitplaats
- Finnish: istumapaikka
- Japanese: 席
- Portuguese: assento
- Russian: сиденье, место
- Serbian: sedište
- Spanish: asiento
part of an object or individual directly involved in sitting
- Dutch: zitvlak (person)
- Finnish: istuin (object), takamus (person)
- Japanese: 座部
- Russian: седалище
membership in a representative body
- Dutch: zetel
- Finnish: paikka
- Japanese: 席, 籍
- Russian: место, пост
location of a governing body
- Dutch: zetel
- Finnish: istuntopaikka
- Japanese: 中枢
- Portuguese: sede
- Finnish: vaalipiiri
- Japanese: 中枢
- ttbc Arabic:
- ttbc Chinese: 位子 (wèizi) (1), 座位 (zuòwèi)
- ttbc Dutch: zitplaats (1), zitting (2), zetel (3,4)
- ttbc Estonian: iste, istekoht (1)
- ttbc French: siège (1,3,4)
- ttbc German: Sitzplatz
- ttbc Greek: κάθισμα (káthisma) (place to sit), θέση (thési) (place to sit), έδρα (édra) (membership)
- ttbc Hungarian: ülés, ülőhely, hely
- ttbc Italian: sedile
- ttbc Korean: 좌석 (jwaseok)
- ttbc Slovene: sedež (1,2,4)
- ttbc Swedish: sittplats
- ttbc Vietnamese: ghế
- : To put an object into a place where it will rest.
- Be sure to seat the gasket properly before attaching the cover.
- : To provide places to sit.
- This classroom seats two hundred students.
to provide places to sit
Seat can refer to:
A place to sit, particularly the area one sits upon (rather than other elements, like armrests), See:
A place or office of authority:
- Chair (official), a seat of office, authority, or dignity
- Legislative seat, a membership in a parliament or other legislature
- Seat (legal entity), indicating where the headquarters of the entity are located
- The capital city of an administrative region, such as:
- Country seat, a place in the country
- Throne, the original seat of authority from which others may be derived
- Seat (territorial-administrative unit) territorial-administrative unit in the medieval Hungarian Kingdom
seat in Czech: Sídlo
seat in German: Sitz
seat in French: Siège
seat in Finnish: Istuin
CP, Eames chair, GHQ, HQ, Hitchcock chair, TV chair, abiding place, abode, accommodate, address, angle, armchair, armless chair, arse, ass, back seat, backside, banquette, bar stool, barber chair, barrel chair, base, base of operations, basement, basis, basket chair, batwing chair, beam, bearing wall, bed, bed chair, bedding, bedrock, behind, bench, bicycle seat, bottom, boudoir chair, bow-back chair, bucket seat, build, build in, bum, butt, buttocks, camp chair, campaign chair, can, cantonment, capital, capital city, center of authority, central administration, central office, central station, chair, club chair, club lounge chair, comb-back chair, command post, company headquarters, confirm, contain, contour chair, county seat, county site, county town, cradle, crash pad, crib, cricket, cricket chair, curule chair, dais, deep-dye, define, derriere, dining chair, distance, domicile, domus, draft chair, duff, dwelling, dwelling place, easy chair, elbowchair, embed, engraft, engrave, ensconce, enthrone, entrench, establish, estate, etch, fan-back chair, fanny, fauteuil, fender stool, fix, floor, flooring, focal point, focus, folding chair, foldstool, fond, footing, form, found, foundation, fundament, fundamental, garden chair, general headquarters, ground, grounds, groundwork, habitation, hardpan, hassock, headquarters, heart, helm, high chair, hindquarters, hold, home, horse, hub, impact, implant, impress, imprint, incumbency, infix, ingrain, inscribe, install, instate, invest, jam, ladder-back chair, lay, lay the foundation, lodge, lodging, lodging place, lodgment, main office, mansion, membership, milking stool, nerve, nest, ottoman, overstuffed chair, pack, pad, park, pavement, perspective, pew, pitch, place, place to live, plant, platform rocker, pose, posit, position, post, posterior, principle, print, put, put in, put up, radical, rear end, residence, riprap, rock bottom, rocker, rocking chair, roof, root, rudiment, rump, saddle, seat of government, seat of power, seat of state, seating, sedan chair, set, set in, set up, settee, settle, shire town, sill, sit, site, sofa, solid ground, solid rock, stamp, stand, standing, station, status, step stool, stereobate, stereotype, stick, stool, stylobate, submit, substratum, substruction, substructure, swear in, swing, taboret, tail, terra firma, throne, tush, underbuilding, undercarriage, undergirding, underpinning, understruction, understructure, venue, vest, viewpoint, wedge, woolsack